This cake is amazing. And it’s gluten free. I’ve made it twice so far this year and people always rave about it. I think all my soaping has really upped my baking skills. Check out the recipe over at Bon Appetit. Try a few of my recommendations below.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND: replace 1 tbsp of sugar meant for sprinkling the top of the cake before baking with about 1/4-1/2 tsp really good sea salt (or fleur de sel or lavender infused) or leave it out all together.
add about 1-2 tbsp of bourbon to the whipped cream/mascarpone topping (you could do vanilla instead of the bourbon – 1/2 tsp).
I was feeling the urge to bake over the weekend but since my man didn’t want cookies lying around the house we decided to make granola instead. This is a combo of two recipes found here and here. Super tasty! Why do I ever buy granola?
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds, whole or chopped (I left them whole)
1/4 cup raw, unsalted walnuts
2 cups coconut flakes (not the sweetened stuff)
1 tbsp of sesame seeds (all we had – you could easily add more)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup local honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon + a little extra vanilla extract
1/2 cup + some extra, mixed dried fruit (we had goji berries, raisin, cherries, blueberries and cranberries + pepitas)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the oats, nuts, sesame seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a large bowl. Heat honey gently over the stove (if you have a microwave, zap it for 15 secs). Add olive oil and vanilla to the honey and stir to combine. Combine the honey mixture with the oat mixture. Stir so that everything is evenly coated.
3. Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes until the edges brown. Add fruit mix and bake for an additional 5 min. Allow to cool completely, break into chunks and store in mason jars or container of choice.
That’s it! Fantastic with yogurt and fruit or by itself as a snack.
Good Things Green Things is an online shop specializing in natural skin care products that are made in the USA. Every product is hand picked by Andi & made with simple, nourishing ingredients. I’m am really excited to be a part of the fantastic collection of makers on the site. I asked Andi to answer a few of my favorite questions and she was kind enough to oblige. Read on for the answers and find out how to connect with Good Things Green Things through your social media platform of choice.
1. What is your favorite color? Blue. All shades are great, but lately I’ve been loving ocean blue. This Minnesota winter has been way too long, with way too much snow!
2. Favorite smell? My overall favorite smell is the Minnesota north woods. The air is just so clean & fresh up there. My favorite food smell is BBQ.
3. Go to cocktail or beverage? I’m an iced coffee kind of gal. I also really like lemonade.
4. What would you choose as your last meal? That’s a tough one. I love food & have many favorites, but if I had to narrow it down I would either choose a plate of lobster meat drizzled with butter & salt or a traditional Thanksgiving feast with all the fixin’s. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, dinner roll & a salad.
5. Favorite thing to cook? I love to make chili & have great recipes for both red & white.
6. Favorite dessert? Cherry pie. It’s the best.
7. Furthest place you’ve traveled? California. I have family in Redwood City. It’s such a great area & if you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend stopping at Half Moon Bay. Besides home, it’s my favorite place on earth.
8. 3 Destinations/Experiences on your bucket list? I would love to go to Tahiti, Hawaii or France, but I’m not much for flying so I don’t think I’ll ever get to those places. My husband and I would love to take the kids to Alaska, the Black Hills and eventually Disneyworld.
9. Favorite memory with your grandmother/grandparents? We went to church with my grandparents every Sunday & then back to their house for roast or some other amazing meal my grandma would make. She always had 7 Up & wafer cookies for a treat. I always think of her now when I eat them. The pink ones are my favorite. We also spent a lot of time fishing at the cabin.
10. Favorite book? Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I read a little bit every day & I start it over again as soon as I finish it. If I could live in a book, that one would be my home.
If you follow me on Instagram and Facebook, I’ve been a busy bee. The beginning of the year is always a good time to reflect, which I’ve been doing a lot of. I (like many people) have a tendency to focus on the things I didn’t accomplish rather than the things I did. So, I decided to share the things I’m really proud of from the last year and my mantras for the coming year. Now it’s your turn. What are your proud moments from 2013? What are you looking forward to in 2014?
No more day job (um yeah, that happened. I’m please beyond measure but freaked out at the same time. It’s kind of awesome.)
Launched my Etta + Billie website and partnered with over 15 new stores! I LOVE getting connected with other business owners and creating relationships.
Better work/life balance which = an adventure with my husband (see some of the Italy photos here)
I am so excited that you can finally purchase Payback Porter Beer Soap on the Etta + Billie website. I’ve partnered with on of my favorite breweries, San Francisco based Speakeasy, to get some fantastic local beer. The beer soap has been months in the making (some of you may have noticed the photos I’ve been posting on Facebook and Instagram) and up until a few weeks ago was only available in select brick and mortar stores and at craft events.
A lot of work goes into the beer soap to ensure that I get a great batch. First, I have to prep the beer by letting it go flat for 2 days. Next, I simmer the beer for about 15-25 minutes to burn off as much of the alcohol as I can. After that, the beer goes into the fridge for 24-48 hours for chill time. Once the chilling and resting phase is complete, it’s time to make some soap! I slowly blend the lye and the beer to keep them from overreacting (they don’t always play nicely together). After that, I can add the lye/beer solution to my melted oils, blend, pour into my molds and then create the beautiful pattern seen above.
I have to say that all the prep is worth it because the Payback Porter Soap has a nutty, malted slightly fresh baked bread scent to it and a wonderful creamy lather. A true beer lovers soap. Grab yourself a bar (or two) and keep an eye on Facebook, Instagram and at the blog for more beer based soaps!
Here’s a peak at some new things that are happening in the Etta + Billie world. 1. I’ve got a new scrub that will up on the site in the coming week – check out the Facebook page to find out the new scent. 2. Etta + Billie got a craft booth face lift at the Renegade Craft show in SF a few weekends ago. What do you think? 3. I have a brand spanking new safety mask with hot pink filters – so fancy!
This facial was created with normal skin in mind but would definitely be lovely for oily, combination or even dry skin. Strawberries are filled with Vitamin C which plays a vital roll in your skins production of collagen and it helps combat free radicals that can damage and age skin. Watermelon has a high water content so its great for re-hydrating skin. It also contains A, B and C vitamins. Our skin needs Vitamin A to maintain a healthy moisture balance and repair itself. Topically Vitamin A has been shown to reduce signs of aging. While B vitamins have been shown to tone skin and give it an instant glow.
Facial Recipe: Gently mash 2 strawberries with about 1/4 cup of watermelon. Add 1 tsp. to 1 tbsp. of honey to help bind together (for dry skin you may want to add 1/4 tsp jojoba or olive oil). Apply mixture to clean damp skin and leave on for 10-15 min. Rinse with lukewarm water, follow with lavender flower water and light moisturizer.
Beverage Recipe: Follow recipe above but instead of honey add 8 oz of sparkling water or good quality ginger beer (booze optional).
I’m so excited that we’re a part of the BRIKA collection of amazing makers. Go check out the collection of soaps, scrubs and lotions along with the a few interesting facts about yours truly. Hurry, items are only on SALE for another 17 hours!