DIY is a real mixed bag for me because I love a good project but I also want my thing to look like it does on the interwebs (ahem, like everyone else on the planet). Thankfully, I’ve got a great sense of humor which helps me relate to all those craft mishaps here plus I acknowledge the ridiculousness of obsessing over Pinterest perfect photos all the time (ain’t nobody got time for that). That being said, this lip scrub DIY is actually really useful (lip care is no joke) and very hard to f-up so the photos are going to be darn pretty and your lips are going to be super soft and healthy. Make the lip scrub and social media bomb your followers. You’re welcome.
Watch the video to learn how to make your own fabulous lip scrub at home (directions included below)
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil (better if organic)
- ½ tsp sunflower oil or olive oil (also better if organic)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp brown sugar (even better if organic, are you starting to notice a trend?)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp turbinado sugar (you can double the amount of brown sugar if you don’t have turbinado sugar. And guess what? organic is preferred)
- ¼ tsp grated lemon peel (optional and you don’t need to be precise – ALSO please make sure this is organic if nothing else unless you like pesticides in your lip scrub, then you do you*)
Small bowl, whisk, spoon, grater, a couple of small jars and clean hands
Let’s do it!
- Take a small bowl and add 1 tbsp of virgin coconut oil
- Add 1/2 tsp of sunflower oil and mix well with coconut oil using the whisk
- Add 1 + 1/2 tsp of brown sugar
- Add 1 + 1/2 tsp of turbinado sugar and mix until fully blended
- Grate about ¼ tsp of lemon peel to add a gentle scent and touch of alpha hydroxy acids
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Fill your jars using a spoon
Add an additional ½ tsp of brown sugar or turbinado sugar if you want an intense treatment. Sugar’s crystalline structure is better for more delicate facial skin including lips.
This lip scrub will stay good for about 2-3 weeks if you keep it in your fridge or at least out of your bathroom.
*So why is organic my go to? Well, besides the reduction in exposure to super nasty chemicals for myself and my loved ones, it’s better for the environment (think less chemicals leaching into waterways, oceans, forests…you get the picture) and better for the farmer workers (think about how much direct exposure they deal with every day as part of their job).