I was feeling the urge to bake over the weekend but since my man didn’t want cookies lying around the house we decided to make granola instead. This is a combo of two recipes found here and here. Super tasty! Why do I ever buy granola?
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted almonds, whole or chopped (I left them whole)
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted walnuts
- 2 cups coconut flakes (not the sweetened stuff)
- 1 tbsp of sesame seeds (all we had – you could easily add more)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup local honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon + a little extra vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + some extra, mixed dried fruit (we had goji berries, raisin, cherries, blueberries and cranberries + pepitas)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the oats, nuts, sesame seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a large bowl. Heat honey gently over the stove (if you have a microwave, zap it for 15 secs). Add olive oil and vanilla to the honey and stir to combine. Combine the honey mixture with the oat mixture. Stir so that everything is evenly coated.
3. Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes until the edges brown. Add fruit mix and bake for an additional 5 min. Allow to cool completely, break into chunks and store in mason jars or container of choice.
That’s it! Fantastic with yogurt and fruit or by itself as a snack.